Monday, February 8, 2010

Brattfossen - Isklatring


After what would seem an eon, I finally get out and whack my new axes into some frozen water, but all the usual problems prevailed. Success was had, and as always many things learnt. Keith, somewhat reluctantly came along, and as you can imagine the advertising of such experience is a little low on selling power. Frozen water to be climbed, will be cold, probable scary, quite high real danger factor, fun might take some time, like several days to sink in, might not happen at all. I have always felt in the world of Jamie´s climbing that frozen ice falls would be the first to drop off, or may be it would be long walks into remote Scottish corries to scratch my way up some half frozen vegetated cliff... But anyway... I digress... On the road to Eikedalen (The oak valley) there is this waterfall called Brattfossen (Steep water fall), its quite striking, and in full flow which is quite often, very impressive. In cold winters it freezes, but you need a deep freeze as there is so much volume of water behind it. History has it that a newly married couple, possible from France crashed there car her and died, and the brides veil was found. Locals call this fall Brides veil (but in Norwegian off course!) The old road, bypassed by a swanky tunnel was also the seen of an ambush by Norwegian resistance (Listen very carefully Øyvind I will only say this once.....KAaaaaa!) to the invading Nazi´s. All this was however lost on me at the time. Keith wasn´t able to fit his ancient crampons on, so I dutifully gave him my spare crampons that wouldn´t fit his ski touring boots, so he got my ice climbing pair and I took the semi climbing, mainly walking pair. We park the car at the top of the fall, and as I don´t like abseiling down climbs first we walked along the old road in knee high snow to a gully that fell to the base of the route. The gully was full of unconsolidated snow, and Keith and I swam down, and eventually perfected the technique of rolling sideways in a diagonal manner to get to the base of the route. This action made me very dizzy and I nearly vomited. But we were at the base of the route! and I had only half the hillside of snow in my trousers and boots! Keith has happily come along on these mini climbing adventures and its a credit to his character, as normally they start and finish in a farce. The golden rule of taking someone climbing is to be confident, which I struggle with, be slick, which I can do but normally forget and finally be savvy! Which clearly I am not. To do and say all these things you need to have been to the climb first, done it, walked away with a big smile, so when you take your mate who has never climbed it before you can swagger in all confident, slickly climbing the route and look all savvy at the top. Keith comes anyway and is probable getting use to the idea none of this ever happens on our little ventures.

Quick ice climbing lesson over, I had off, and after 10m hit this small scoop of a ledge, at this point I have become aware of several things, one ice often looks amenable, not steep and friendly, until you get on it and all this fades away. I always forget this one. Secondly, my walking crampons have these front points that only extend 5mm from the front of my boots so front pointing is more delicate to useless than the pair I lent Keith. Thirdly I noticed a bit of a problem with the axes I have, these being Black Diamond. They are very good axes but the pick has a habit of working loose, and one of mine had as I climbed up. This needed tightening, which can be done with the other. This is very precarious when you are climbing on the lead! Fourthly I suffer from Ledge syndrome, once a ledge is found I can´t leave it. At this point John, Sandy and another swim to the base of the fall, and give offer advice and some grief in an effort to encourage me to continue with my upward quest. It works, and I again start wobbling my way upwards. I suffer greatly from The Mind Monkeys! These devious little monkeys wait quietly in my head, until I got climbing, or lots of other things and then they start drinking fizzy pop and start dancing around telling jokes and generally running a mock. There are a few called doubt that really go to town, and I have to fight the little monkeys all the time. Anyway those monkeys of doubt started dancing around and I kept climbing up until I reached a sort of natural ice ledge and belayed Keith up. By the time Keith came up the water that was visible thundering under the ice seemed to be getting more powerful, which is natural as the day goes on, but it makes me wonder about the precarious nature of this fall. I started enjoying it, and even Keith seemed to be in a crazy sort of way. The last pitch was so much easier that first, but the ice was poor quality and some huge ice block seemed only just frozen in. At the top it was all quiet, the fear gone, we chatted with Sandy and John and then wondered back to the car. All very civilised.

No comments:

Post a Comment