Sunday, May 10, 2009




After Haukelister I was buoyed up for some more topptur action, and so headed of to Hurrungane fjells which lie in the SW part of the Jotunheimen. These are Norways alpine mountains and have a very short summer and winter season. The summer is short, because it snows a lot, and the winter is long, but short in human terms as the roads are closed for most of the winter, and really only open after Easter. This is May, and both roads from the famous Turtagrø Hotel, one to Øvre Årdal and the other to Lom where closed due to snow. This left the road from Sogndal open, which is handily for me as this is the road people from Bergen use! Due to the bad weather forecast most sensible people didn’t go, or should I say as it was pointed out to me, the good people from Bergen didn’t turn up. Those that did, a mix of hardened toppturers, sponsored celebrities, seasoned hardened ski festival drinkers (in smart looking never used in anger ski gear) and me were hell-bent on doing something but quite what is often mystery… I have to admit I don’t like these ski festivals, mainly because… I can’t ski downhill very well, but that’s not the truth, I can, well kind of, but what I don´t like is the whole thing, its just not what I call going to the mountains. There is quite a lot of being seen, and being seen to do the right thing at the right time, and there is loads of heavy drinking…. Anyway to the skiing, the weather was not good, well not good for me, as the visibility was poor, and I just don’t like skiing down new slopes with poor vis, but I did go out and drag my body up hill and then return at a leisurely Jamie sort of pace. It was fun, but on Saturday night at eleven, while the revellers revelled, to the current trendy tunes, I had had enough and pulled away and went for a walk on my own. I just find the heavy drinking to much, and all the being seen. I´m getting old, but to be honest I have felt this way all my life… Not sure I will go back, but will but with mates and not hang about a Turtagrø or as I like to call it Turd-a-grø!

No comments:

Post a Comment