Thursday, March 25, 2010

Motorbikes and Millie





Awhile back I wrote a series of articles about my grandpa who was part of the Bergers Climbing club based in Middleborough. It was a labor of love deciphering all the scribbles, mostly semi drunken scrawl in pencil in a small note book. But it was worth it. A real insight into a quiet mans life, the old man that lived next door. I remember I found his old rope in the barn at home and possible a very strange harness and proceeded to get myself tangled upside-down in a tree. The local farmer found me, and in typical dower Cumbrian shouted at me, but I turned down the help and eventually struggles free only to try again and end up in the same mess. Millie was grandpa’s wife and she was bit radical for the 1930. She wore trousers and rode a motorcycle. For ages on the cupboard in the hall they had this battered trophy. It was just inscribed Armystead Hanson, 1928 Gjers Trial and something about Middleborough Motorbike Club (grandpa was president from 1957-59). From the outside it would seem grandpa an MC trials however it turned out he did with a side car with Millie. However Millie actually drove the bike a bit as she thought Army was going a bit slow, but near the end the swopped round as they felt it would not be accepted as a win with a women riding the bike! In the club history in 1926 they had vote to allow women to have a half vote within the club, but it was turned down. Just before I moved to Norway I sent the trophy back to Middleborough MC along with some photos of Mille riding her bike. They seemed a bit bemused I would just give it to them expecting nothing in return but the way I see it is if you give a gift with strings its really not a gift at all. They told me they would award it to the best female rider each year. I think Mille would have liked that. It must have been so hard growing up in a world dominated by men, dictating what you can or cannot do. I think Millie would have liked Norway (she visited with Army just before the Second world war I think)
It interesting looking at the club history many names crop up who were members of the Bergers climbing club. I wonder if motorcycles and climbing go together. Anyway today I remember Army and Millie, they have been pushing up the daises for a very long time now and need remembering.

No comments:

Post a Comment